Skip to main content

I've been avoiding posting new diaries in an effort to help reduce diary churn. But things have stabilized somewhat, and I've been thinking about how to best use the ability to post diaries here, rather than simply posting whatever screed or wonkery comes to mind.

In the spirit of Brian Nowhere's :08 Minute Activist and Jeffrey Feldman's Frameshop, I am considering a weekly diary, focusing on one of the following categories--energy, LGBT issues, or music for activists.

But which category, and should it be a weekend posting, or a weekday posting?

Update [2004-12-15 10:37:6 by lilithvf1998]: Right now the raw figures would seem to suggest that I should have a weekday energy diary. Yet, I can't help but notice that, aggregate, there are as many votes for an LGBT roundup as there is for an energy roundup. I'll make a final decision this weekend, so vote now!

Update [2004-12-28 1:25:5 by lilithvf1998]: The poll is closed, and I will focus on the energy roundup diary. However, we need someone to work on an LGBT diary too--see below.

Poll follows the bump...

To expand upon the categories:

• The energy diary would be a news roundup with brief commentary, sometimes with a short editorial. While the focus would be on research and trends, policy would be brought up as appropriate.

• The LGBT diary would also be a news roundup, tying issues from the lesbian/gay/bi/trans community together with progressive causes, and conversely, documenting areas where LGBT support helps issues and causes that are generally progressive but not intrinsically LGBT in nature.

• The music for activists diary would spotlight bands, fans, and genres of music from a progressive point of view. While there would be attention paid to folk and punk--the two most stereotypically "activist" genres--I would also explore progressive activism in metal, industrial, country, and in any genre where musicians encourage their listeners to fight for progressive causes.

This being a weekly diary, I would also like to know what you think about posting it on the weekend, meaning, planning out the diary during the week--or posting during the week, taking the weekend to do my write-up.

So please vote in the poll and let me know what you would most appreciate coming from my diaries. Thanks!

Originally posted to lilithvf1998 on Tue Dec 14, 2004 at 10:42 AM PST.

Poll

What subject, and when?

28%7 votes
8%2 votes
28%7 votes
16%4 votes
8%2 votes
12%3 votes

| 25 votes | Vote | Results

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  sounds like a good idea n/t (none)

I am a liberal and I support freedom from the draft.
    draftfreedom.org.

by Liberation Learning on Tue Dec 14, 2004 at 11:23:35 AM PST

•  How about.... (none)
    Energy on Monday,
    GLBT on Wednesday
    Music on Friday?
    •  I'll put my clones to work immediately. :) (none)
      Seriously, the reason why I'm asking is because I do not see myself having the kind of time commitment to write that often. So if you have a preference, by all means let me know!

What shall I write about in my diaries? Vote in the poll today!

by lilithvf1998 on Tue Dec 14, 2004 at 12:02:21 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  I was going to be a wanker (none)
    and vote 'music - weekday' so's you'd have to break out that cloning lab...  a 4-way tie! woo-hoo!
  •  I like roundup diaries (none)
    Friday is science day around here, no? How about an energy roundup diary on Fridays?

As a fogey, I'm not particularly interested in a music diary.

I'd also be interested in what's going on with the LBGT community (which I'm not a part of other than to offer support and understanding) especially with same sex marriage being an issue on the front burner in your country and mine (Canada).

Whatever you choose, I think it should be something you truly enjoy and feel is worth your time and enrgy. Wouldn't want to see you burn out! :)

•  Hey Lil, (none)
    Very nice idea.

While I love music, and I see the LGBT issues as basic human rights, I'm going to throw my weight behind Energy weekdays (Friday sounds good).

I think alternative energy, and energy independence, are extremely important for our energy sucking society. The sooner we can adopt new ideas and technologies on a personal level, the sooner we'll be able to lead others in the same direction, maybe even in time to save the planet.

You have to lead from the front ... that means walking the walk, and showing that you're committed to it, and willing to share what you've learned.

Here's my particular area of interest:

Biodiesel America

Biodiesel Distributors

I look forward to seeing what you decide.

Stay at home and join us, at the dKos Bar and Grill.

by Baldwiny on Tue Dec 14, 2004 at 04:47:16 PM PST

•  Hey Baldwiny! (none)
      Thanks for your vote. Right now it looks like an energy diary entry during the week is where I'll be going, but I will wait until later this week to make a final decision.

Biodiesel is definitely intriguing, especially if it means recycling waste oil into diesel-compatible fuel for cars. If I do go in the direction of an energy diary, I'll try to touch on biodiesel here and there.

I also appreciate your "leading from the front" comment. I will certainly endeavor to do so.

I also will avoid recycling old entries from my rarely-updated blog, too. :)

What shall I write about in my diaries? Vote in the poll today!

by lilithvf1998 on Tue Dec 14, 2004 at 05:12:54 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  good idea (none)
    I aloso would like to learn more about energy.  personally I think thermal depolymerization is the way to go.
  •  Books, music, movies (none)
    and Alt/Renewable energy would be great.  "I imagine an America the creates new energy technology that is clean, renewable and can be exported to third world countries to help improve their quality of life.
  •  Energy education needed (none)
    Many of the posts on Kos about energy show a definite need in this area. F'rinstance, TDP and biodiesel will have their niche, but nothing like on the scale to "solve" our energy problems.

Likewise with hydrogen, and even solar and wind power. Scale and "eroi" (energy return on investment) are the crucial factors.

This is gonna be a tough one, and we all need the best info we can get about it.

Thanks for doing a regular diary, even if it ends up being on one of the other topics!

•  LGBT! LGBT! LGBT! (none)
    I'll chant if need be.

Seriously, it's been mentioned more than once that the LGBT community is like the canary in the mine, or the test-case for the fascists -- if they can oppress us w/ no repercussions, then you can bet dollars to doughnuts that more and varied oppression is coming down the pike.

I think a terrible gay backlash is in the making. George the chimp and his handlers are definitely trying to make it so.

•  Likewise (none)
      But seriously, do whatever feels right to you, and I'm sure it will work out.  Out of curiousity, if you did energy, what would be the focus of your discussion?

"I'm going to dance the dream, and make the dream come true." -Kate Bush

by ellisande on Thu Dec 16, 2004 at 08:40:45 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  The focus? (none)
        Let's say that I do have a certain central thesis that I'd elaborate upon early on, but there isn't one exclusive subject in that realm that I think I'd do exclusively. Policy, activism, technology, economic and environmental impact, it's all fair game.

What shall I write about in my diaries? Vote in the poll today!

by lilithvf1998 on Thu Dec 16, 2004 at 11:40:24 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  How about (none)
    a rotating schedule to cover all these in each successive week...?

And, I am in favor of posting on a weekday, and Wednesday or Friday seems like the best choices to me.

Mark

...pray to God, or something, or whatever you do...|||Seal|||

by Dems2004 on Thu Dec 16, 2004 at 12:47:20 PM PST

•  Probably not (none)
      I think that, at minimum, energy and LGBT issues need someone who can focus on each subject. Rotating diaries, while fun, would diffuse that focus.

I will probably try to recruit one or more Kossacks who know the subject to take up whichever diary idea I don't choose. I already have a few candidates for each in mind....

What shall I write about in my diaries? Vote in the poll today!

by lilithvf1998 on Thu Dec 16, 2004 at 01:04:04 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Good idea (none)
    Be true to yourself
  •  All of these sound great (none)
    but if I had to pick one I'd pick LGBT roundup.
    Hope your arm gets better soon.

I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth and I am a citizen of the world -- Eugene Debs

by dove on Mon Dec 27, 2004 at 10:17:51 AM PST

•  Energy weekday has it (none)
    I'm closing the poll as of today--it technically was closed last week but I didn't say as much.

The energy weekday votes were the greatest overall. However, if I just looked at energy vs LGBT topics irrespective of posting timeframe, there were slightly more votes for a LGBT roundup.

So, I am formally encouraging someone to take this up. I can point you to some LGBT news sources aside from the obvious (e.g. gay.com) so if you are serious, please let me know!

What shall I write about in my diaries? Vote in the poll today!

by lilithvf1998 on Mon Dec 27, 2004 at 10:01:57 PM PST

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site